We are living in chaotic times.
The headlines are rarely proclaiming anything good. Some people are turning off the Six O’clock News because they are tired of the constant beatdown every evening. People need a break, a time to unwind.
A few years ago, I went to a two day tourism/hospitality conference. The one line that has stayed with me from all of those presentations was: “We are in the mental health business”.
Now, I don’t know if the IRS would buy off on that one, but I can see it in the eyes of many of our customers …. they need a mental break! They don’t want any hassles, they don’t want any “Yes, but …” They want a pristine adventure, whether that be catch a bunch of fish, see a moose, sleep on an island, just spend quality time with a wife, a son or daughter, or a whole family just getting closer together. They want to look out at a flat lake at sunset. They want no news, no smart phones, no shedules, and some times no sounds. Especially no chaos.
From the day we first started North Country back in 1984, our goal at has always been: “To provide the most complete professional outfitting services for Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Quetico Provincial Park.”
But what exactly does that mean?
- We try to treat every party as a unique group, with different goals, and different ability levels.
- When they arrive we want their gear and food ready, and packed neatly and correctly.
- We want their route to be at the pace and level they are expecting, whether that be easy or challenging.
- We want our equipment to function correctly, and our food to taste good.
- And when they return, we want them to get in their car saying: “They did what they said they would do”, “We got the trip route we requested”, and “They charged us what they said they were going to charge”.
If we do that, with every single party, then we have succeeded. We want to be the outfitter you recommend to your friends. We want to be the outfitter you return to year after year.
None of us has a choice in whether or not we are living in chaotic times. You do, however, have a choice of which outfitter to use. Here at North Country, we have no time for chaos … and neither do you! We understand why people take canoe trips, and we take those reasons very seriously.